Monday, February 7, 2011

I wanted to destroy something beautiful... and make it beautiful again

This assignment request that we anaylze the consequences of breaking a rule in "our field of study" and then break said rule. Wtih "Media Arts" utilziing Photoshop and elements of Graphic design, I decided to break an unspoken rule of  graphic design, at least as it pertains to creating forum signatures: don't use photoshop filters.

While creating the initial piece, I decided to also break some other design rules: the rule of thirds, make sure your focal point guides he viewer's eye throughout the piece, and keep you graphic within the its own borders. The obvious consequences are that any finished piece would look ugly and/or amateurish. This is what I made:


Awesome, right? I then gave myself the task to salvage this, using filters only and I couldn't undo anything. I ended up creating this:


No, I didn't upload a horribly copied Jpeg, that mosaic look comes from a filter. While I liked the way it was looking, I felt the piece needed a "layer" of obscurity, to hide in plain sight, so to speak.







I'm not particularly proud of this project. I feel like I didn't "do it right," and I'm not entirely sure why. I was under the impression for most of the week that this assignment was about breaking a rule in general, and ended up not knowing what to do until this morning when I decided to write up a bullshit post about a rather interesting idea of breaking the rule of "You can't rewrite history", and then discuss in class why I had so much trouble making that project. Then as I began to write it, I looked at the assignment page that mentioned a rule "in your field of study," and the projects that were already turned in reflected this. Maybe everyone fucked up here, but I feel like I just did what was necessary to fit the directions of the assignment and that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment