Monday, February 21, 2011

Trippin' - 2/21/2011

The field trip was a good break in pace for the class, and it let me realize that UITS had more of a purpose than being the people to yell at when the internet is slow.

The Cube was really neat. I had an idea for a Capstone that would involve Kinect, but the Cube could be a way to do the idea in a similar way, but on a larger scale. The 3D stuff didn't work all that well, or at least no that consistently, which would be a problem for a project because you don't want the technology to take people out of the experience you're trying to give them.

However, the most mind-blowing thing I saw was that NUI-device that lets you use a stylus to interactive with digital objects in "real-space." The first time I made contact with that cube, I was sure that I was hitting the wrist-rest. Then, I looked under the mirror, and proceeded to spend the next minute or two just toying around with a fake box in a digital environment and was more immersed by playing with a CGI-box than the best video games I've played. The only downside to it, on a Capstone-thinking-front, is it's very small scale. I don't know how they're laid out (which I'm going to rectify by going to Capstones this year), but I would like my Capstone (if I go with my current idea) to be something that someone can easily see and understand while walking around. I would need to see what I could do to extend the scale and/or combine the Cube and the NUI-thingy.

The super-hi-res monitor was neat, but Chauncey sort of introduced and destroyed the main reason I would want to work with it at the same time: high resolution image creation/manipulation. Photoshop ran worse on that machine than on my laptop.

The other 3D setup was fine, but I would think that if you're going to work wit a 3D environment, the Cube would be better every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment