Saturday, January 29, 2011

Class Response - That totally looked like a butt

So last class was a discussion on rules as well as a discussion on perception. I'll save my thoughts on rules for later, though and just talk about looking versus seeing.

To put it simply, looking is knowing, while seeing is understanding. It's the equivalent of hearing and listening. If you hear something, your brain is perceiving sound waves; if you listen to something, your brain is perceiving a deeper meaning (however shallow it may be) to the sound waves it heard. Evidence of the link between seeing and understanding shows up in our grammar, too. "I see," is synonymous with "I understand," or "I got it." However, in a world where one of the primary means of communication (the inter-tubes) all but requires a WYSIWYG attitude to it (due to the inability to assume others are intending for deeper meaning), the ability to "see" things has become something that takes practice.


In regards to rules, and the question posed on Oncourse about when one has stopped me, I'm conflicted. Perhaps I'm just a boring person, but I can't recall a single situation where I was prevented from doing something I wished to due to a rule. I'm typically the person who, without thinking, follows the rules as in most cases I understand the purpose of the rule and don't disagree with it. Well, it's that or it's because I'm terrified of conflict and it's much easier to avoid conflict when you tend to go with the rules. I'm not entirely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment