Monday, April 18, 2011

4-11-11 Class Response

I completely understand why you believe that Sharayah's project and the resulting discussion was the most important thing that happened this semester. You had mentioned previously that part of this course's purpose is to give us tools to help prevent and recover from burnouts like Sharayah encountered. Also, it came to light that many of us have encountered this even before now, and we actually came together and discussed it. I mean, most project discussions have been based around talking about the technical aspects of the work or, more recently, thinking about what lead the person to create the work. However, until that discussion, we had never had a real, lengthy discussion about the reasons and what it means for us as people who are going to make stuff for a living. If I had to guess, I would say it's due to the topic being something that is important, shared by the majority of the class, and something societally accepted as being "normal." With the fear assignments, I feel there could have been more, better, discussion if there was an understanding that many creative people have had shit happen in their lives.

I know a big theme in this semester, at least for me, is an understanding that I'm not, in fact, alone. In anything, really. Other people in the class have issues with their family. Other people have a pervading feeling that their work is never good enough. Other people have lost the feeling of love they had for what they do. I also found out that sometimes people actually give a damn about what I have to say. Shit, people actually know my name, which is something I'm going to go into more detail with before this semester's done as to why that's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment